I am thrilled to be participating in the Pride & Prejudice winter workshop series on behalf of Guelph Spoken Word, this February and March. I get to facilitate free writing and spoken word workshops for LGBTQ+ youth, which is basically like a dream job.
In my Writing for Change workshop, I’ll run through some basics for writing and performing spoken word. I’m looking forward to getting queer youth thinking about what stories they might like to share, activism they want to work towards, and how they can bring those things together as writers and performers.
I believe that sharing what we write can be a really powerful tool in building connections and creating change. I am so excited to engage more writers and activists with spoken word!
Pride & Prejudice is a monthly social meet-up for LGBTQ+ youth, run by ARCH (HIV/AIDS Resources and Community Health) in partnership with organizations in Guelph, Erin, Owen Sound and Mount Forest. The group’s new workshop format will teach hands-on skills and introduce youth to queer artists and organizers who have made a difference in their communities.
Many of the Guelph-based artists are self-taught, self-starters and really strong queer community organizers. It is so exciting to be a part of this special series.
Some of the other amazing artists and organizations involved include:
- Intro to Improv with The Making-Box
- Intro DJ Skills with M’Damn D of FIERCE! and Bass & Burlesque
- Beginner’s Guide to Photography with Storm & Sea Photography
- Jewelry Crafting with Mandaar Creations
- And there are more artists on the roster for future workshops!
Of course, I couldn’t mention this series without thanking its wonderful organizer, Jasper Smith. Jasper re-vamped Pride & Prejudice, found some great artists, and even came up with the funds to make sure the work queer artists are putting into this program is paid.
So if you are or know of any LGBTQ+ youth living close to Guelph, Erin, Owen Sound or Mount Forest – please spread the word about these free arts-based workshops!
Writing for Change will run at the following dates and locations:
- Monday, February 6th, 6-8pm at The Common, 28 Wilson Street, Guelph
- Wednesday, March 29th, 6-8pm at Brighten Up! 67 Main Street, Erin
- Wednesday, March 1st, 6-8pm at New Growth Family Centre, 211 Birmingham St. West, Mount Forest
Check out the ARCH events page for details about other workshop dates and descriptions.